Your Belongings and Fire Damage
You might DIY a lot of things but one thing you should never try to DIY is fire and smoke damage.
You’ll probably be tempted to start the cleaning process immediately. But you might not realize that DIY fire damage cleanup can actually cause more damage to your home and belongings. Here are some of the reasons you should hire a professional restoration company to handle fire damage cleanup.
- Smoke damage is just as dangerous as fire damage. Fires don’t just burn; they leave smoke and soot damage behind. Smoke particles embed themselves in walls, ceilings, carpets, furniture and other belongings, if not removed properly can stick around for years, causing odors as well as potential health problems. SERVPRO® has specialized equipment that can completely remove the smoke damage from your home.
- Smoke damage can’t be washed away. It may look as though you can simply wipe the soot and smoke residue away, but this isn’t the case. Specialized equipment must be used to remove traces of smoke and soot damage or you risk rubbing the residue further into the structure. You also should NOT wash your clothes in an everyday washing machine to remove smoke and odor. SERVPRO® can work with you to properly restore your clothing and belongings.
- Most insurance companies cover the cost of a professional restoration company if your home suffers fire damage, so don’t attempt to do any of the work yourself. You could be doing more damage than good.
If You Have Questions or Need Help, Call Us Today – (856) 686-0100
SERVPRO of Woodbury / Deptford specializes in restoring contents damaged by water, fire, or mold. Our expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your belongings to determine what items we can restore to pre-fire condition. We use several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning due to fire damage, SERVPRO of Woodbury / Deptford can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. Move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Fire-damaged electronics can present a serious hazard. Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical device that you suspect has been damaged by fire. Smoke residues can contain acids that corrode metal surfaces. If the residues are not removed, corrosion causes electronic failure in the device. We will coordinate the restoration of your electronics, including:
- Television sets
- DVD players
- And more
The key to restoring electronics is taking prompt action to prevent further damage. Electronics will be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronics technician.
Document / Photograph Drying
When your valuable documents, including photographs, are damaged by water or fire, extreme caution should be taken to help ensure the fire damage does not destroy the document. Although some documents may not be restored to pre-fire damage condition, SERVPRO of Woodbury / Deptford can save a great deal and help minimize additional damage.
Depending on the type of documents and the level of fire, smoke, or soot damage, they have five options for the restoration of documents:
- Air Drying
- Freezer Drying
- Vacuum Freeze Drying
- Vacuum Thermal Drying
Contents Claim Inventory Service
When a fire emergency strikes, the damage can often feel overwhelming. We can help ease the worry and confusion during the recovery process by offering our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), which provides a detailed and accurate list of your belongings. We take a room-by-room inventory of your contents, including digital photos, and in some instances, bar coding.
Our Contents Claim Inventory Service:
- Preloss list and value of contents
- Detailed and accurate report
- Better information to settle claims quicker
- Assistance with burden of proof for claims